Tuesday, September 3, 2013

And...We're off!

What a crazy week this past week was!  Last Monday, after realizing that our IVF cycle was too close to our once a year inventory, I called to talk to the nurse about the possibility of missing 9/27.  She said it was a very good possibility that we'd do the transfer on the 25th or 26th, meaning I'd be on bed rest on the 27th, and would miss work.  So I called my boss (who was off that day) and asked him how he felt about me possibly missing inventory.  I was really upset already, but it didn't show him how important it was for me to keep my cycle as is, instead of waiting another month.  He told me that he needed me there to help with the computer side of inventory and didn't know what he'd tell the rest of the employees as to why Darla got to miss inventory, but they couldn't.  I explained it all and that it looked like I'd have to wait another month to do the cycle with my doctor and he said "It's just another month."  To him it's another month, but to me it was feeling like a failed cycle and was crushing me.  I spent the rest of the day on the verge of tears, and crying outside.  I felt sad that we'd have to wait longer and angry that my boss wasn't showing any sort of empathy towards the situation.  I've had the cycle planned for almost 2 months, and the date for inventory was just set the week before.  I felt like my boss doesn't truly have respect for me or cares about the work that I put in.  He's only concerned about himself and how much of the load he'll have to take on and how he will have to answer to the others that work with us.  But he could've said we could look into finding a way to make it work.  We could have someone from our corporate office come out to help, we could have he and I do the computer side of inventory later in the weekend.  But that's not the way it went.  I will just do my job and hope that the dedication I've shown pays off.

On Tuesday, I tried to call first thing in the morning to talk to my nurse about possibly being moved into the soonest IVF cycle, so I could still have Dr. P do my Embryo Transfer.  She didn't call me until 2:30, and by then my doctor was already gone and I had to wait until the following day to hear back about it.  I was anxious and nervous all day, and once again didn't get a call until about 1:30 and she said that Dr. P and Dr. J, who will be the doctor over my cycle, both ok'd us to join this cycle.  So I took my last BC Pill last Wednesday.  On Friday we had our first appt, and paid the $8900 for the cycle.  We had an ultrasound with a different doctor.  He found a follicle on my right ovary, which he said needed to be checked out to see if it was still active.  On my left ovary he found a cyst, that he thought was filled with endometrosis.  He said he needed to get in contact with Dr. P and we could possibly have to wait to start our cycle if things didn't look right. 

We met with Nurse H, and went over the medications and ultrasounds we'd have starting on 9/2.  She called it all in and sent us over to the hospital to get the meds ($1600.00 worth of meds!), and get blood drawn from the lab.  I wasn't sure what to feel...I couldn't quite believe that after all the chaos and headache to get in to this cycle, we could have it be cancelled.  I felt annoyed that I'd never had anyone point out a endemetrosis cyst to me before, when it's been there since June.  But I was starting to worry that my Estrodial levels would be high, and they'd make us wait longer to start.  But W and I went on with our plans.  We got ready for our weekend camping trip and figured we'd find out later in the weekend, when I got my voicemail, whether or not we'd continue with this cycle.  But on our way to camp, I got the call from Nurse H, who said that the estrogen level was less than 20 and we were good to go!  It made me feel so relieved and happy!  Now we could really enjoy our weekend!

Enjoy the weekend we did.  We found a great spot camping, enjoyed a couple more nights of adult beverages and time together.  Then we came home and got some things done around the house.  I had my last coffee yesterday and it was so yummy!  Then yesterday evening we did our first shots.  W and I worked together to get the Repronex all ready and W gave me the shot.  That one stung a bit going in, and was a little tender after, but today I really feel the tenderness that shot left behind.  I decided to wear a skirt, and I am glad I did.  I think jeans would be pressing on the spot more and making me quite uncomfortable.  We also did a shot of Gonal F, which wasn't bad at all.  We'll do the Repronex and Gonal F the entire time.  Then after our Thursday U/S, they'll possibly change dosages of that, and add in Cetrotide to the mix.  This will help me not ovulate, until they are ready for me to.  Once they are ready for me to ovulate and do the Egg Retrieval, they'll have me use Lupron as my trigger shot.  Then I get the joy of doing progesterone injections for a good long time.  But, whatever gets us a take home baby, I'll do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment